It’s all too familiar! For most people, their workday starts by going through their emails and correspondence. And nothing is more annoying and overwhelming than sifting through a clogged business inbox full of spam offers. Can spam email protection help you avoid this common annoyance?
Email is a double-edged sword. On one hand, it enables convenient communication, and on the other, it opens the door to distraction and threats.
Experts estimate over 50% of total business email traffic today is spam. Beyond wasting your precious time, these junk messages often harbor viruses aiming to infiltrate company systems to steal data or money.
So how do savvy businesses self-protect? Spam filters are a critical line of defense and part of our 15-point checklist for a well-rounded security plan.
Overview of Spam Email Protection – Filters
Spam email is anything that lands on your inbox and has no value for you. It’s unwanted.
Often, it’s a single message with advertisements sent to numerous recipients like you, and who never opted-in to receive such messages. But how do they find you?
There are a variety of methods spammers will use to build up a mailing list. The most common is the use of freebie offers or fake contests where you provide your email.
Also, the spammers may extract email addresses from websites using email harvesting tools or go further to purchase lists of addresses.
This is where proven spam filters installed by qualified professionals come in handy for your business.
Spam filters are software designed to automatically detect and block unwanted spam emails from reaching users’ inboxes.
They allow employees to focus time on priority emails rather than weed through false offers for suspicious pills, fake invoices, or phishing scams aiming to spread malware.
By quickly identifying and rerouting suspicious messages away from employees’ eyes, spam filters boost productivity and safety. In a nutshell, security awareness training can help develop a safety culture at your workplace, but spam email protection reduces the time your employees spend sifting through the emails.
How Spam Filters Work
Spam filters examine multiple email characteristics to judge whether a message is legitimate or spam. Once enabled by a company’s IT administrator, the filters run in the background assessing all incoming and outgoing emails based on rules.
First, filters check basics like the email’s header information which should show a valid sender address matching the domain. Next, they analyze the actual content of the message, screening for typical spam giveaways like misspelled words, strange formatting, threatening language demanding money, or mentions of sketchy products like counterfeit medications that include those that promise to enhance a body part.
Images also provide clues – filters scrutinize any images to ensure they contain actual pictures as stated, not just empty image files used to bypass filters.
Attachments get scanned for hidden executable files like malware. Filters also reference master blacklists of known spammer email addresses and domains compiled by security companies. Whitelists containing contacts you trust provide the opposite verification that an email is safe.
Benefits of Spam Email Protection
Effective spam filtering provides immense benefits for your business, including the following:
- Increased productivity – By automatically diverting spam away from inboxes, employees waste less time manually identifying and deleting junk emails themselves. Hours saved weekly can be redirected towards critical work.
- Prevent viruses and malware – Spam filters provide the first line of defense in identifying and blocking virus-laden emails before they ever reach employees. However, some spam with malware attachments can inevitably slip through even robust filters.
Antivirus software acts as a second layer of protection to scan and isolate viruses detected within emails and applications. Powerful new ransomware threats also demand advanced solutions – anti-ransomware tools use behavior analysis to stop data encryption processes before they render systems inaccessible.
Deploying spam filters alongside both antivirus scans and explicit anti-ransomware guards provides overlapping protection. Filters recognize early red flags in suspicious emails, antivirus then detects any harmful code contained in messages, and anti-ransomware barricades shield vulnerable data even if malware penetrates systems.
- Save money – Spam filters mitigate a multitude of costs associated with viruses infiltrating systems, including IT expenses to rebuild encrypted systems and files after a detrimental malware attack.
Additionally, blocking viruses reduces the risk of sensitive customer and employee data getting stolen in a breach, which could incur giant regulatory fines or legal liability expenses. Enabling robust spam filters is a small investment that prevents the huge financial damages viruses and data theft can inflict.
- Protect company resources – Filtering limits spam traffic on company servers so bandwidth gets preserved for legitimate email storage and transfers. The result is an effective and smooth workflow and environment.
Tips for Setting Up Spam Filters
Setting up spam filters is one way you set up your business for success. Here are the best practices for enabling spam filters across your organization:
- Choose reputable providers – Trusted brands like McAfee or Symantec offer comprehensive filters trained on billions of spam emails.
- Adjust sensitivity settings – Filters allowing customization based on your tolerance for risk versus convenience prevent desirable mail from accidentally getting flagged.
- Update white/blacklists – Enter contacts you transact business with regularly into whitelists to ensure their vital emails aren’t blocked. Blacklist any new spam sources.
- Train the filter – Forward new spam emails that slip through to your IT team so the filter learns to identify their patterns for the future and adapts.
- Backup email archive – Even the best filters may miss some spam, so schedule regular email backups enabling recovery if viruses emerge.
If any part of this seems too complicated or confusing, just contact AZCOMP for a free consultation. We can offer advice and point you in the right direction, or we can offer our services to get it done for you.
In today’s digitized world, unprotected email inboxes act like unlocked doors, allowing outside cyber threats easy access to exploit businesses. Yet AZCOMP offers the digital equivalent of strong locks by installing preventative tools like custom-calibrated spam filters, antivirus software, and firewalls to seal all loopholes.
As experts managing IT infrastructure for companies of all sizes, we’ve seen the crippling effects of malware firsthand when attacks disrupt operations. Small businesses especially require vigilant security tailored to their needs without overspending on enterprise solutions.
Don’t become another victim statistic pinned to malware trends! Allow AZCOMP’s cybersecurity team to assess your systems and implement robust multi-layered protections designed specifically to safeguard your business environment.
About AZCOMP Technologies:
AZCOMP Technologies of Mesa, AZ, is a leading provider of Managed IT services and technology solutions for businesses. AZCOMP’s mission is to help enterprises to improve efficiency, reduce costs, and increase cybersecurity through innovative tech solutions.
AZCOMP Technologies has provided business technology solutions and cybersecurity services since 2000. AZCOMP offers these services in Phoenix, Mesa, Tempe, Scottsdale, Chandler, Apache Junction, Queen Creek, San Tan Valley, Gold Canyon, and more. Request your IT consultation today!