Microsoft 365, formerly Office 365, needs no introduction in the current business space.
The cloud-based platform provides businesses access to Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Teams, OneNote, SharePoint, OneDrive applications, and much more.
Because Microsoft 365 is so diverse and offers so many different productivity tools for businesses; naturally, Phoenix area businesses are migrating to Microsoft 365 in droves.
But migrating to Microsoft 365 isn’t as simple as you might imagine. As a business, if you don’t have a solid plan for your migration and don’t know how to implement that plan, things won’t turn out how you hoped. A lot of businesses sort of just go for it and end up being another one of the numerous Microsoft 365 migration horror stories.
Importance of a Well Thought-Out and Smooth Microsoft 365 Migration for Businesses
Migrating to Microsoft 365 can be complicated, so the process must be well thought out. A poorly executed migration can lead to lost data, downtime, and employee frustration. You don’t want that to happen to your medical practice, dental practice, or your business!
To ensure a successful migration, have a clear plan, assess your network infrastructure and application compatibility, and provide adequate employee training and support. For a project like this, it might be way easier when you let the professionals give you a hand! Don’t you think?
Common Microsoft 365 Migration Horror Stories
Our IT professionals have encountered more than their fair share of horror stories from Arizona businesses that tried the Microsoft 365 migration on their own.
Perhaps these businesses want to cut the cost of hiring a professional service. Others think the migration process is as easy as a plug-and-play device and are shocked to find that it’s the opposite. Here is a quick list of the most common Microsoft 365 migration horror scenarios:
- Lost Data: Often, this happens when businesses don’t have a good plan for moving data from point A to point B. Imagine a situation where your healthcare business loses crucial patient data during migration. Where do you even start? We always insist on a better understanding of cloud storage and a backup plan in case of any data loss.
- Unexpected Downtime/Delays/Frustrations: Another typical migration horror story is unexpected downtime, delays, and frustrations. Most migration attempts are on trial and error, meaning the project often drags on forever. Most business owners calling us for help are so green that they don’t understand how things are supposed to work or don’t have the experience to execute the plan properly.
- Incorrect User Licenses: Businesses may also encounter problems with user licenses when trying to get Microsoft 365 to work correctly for their intended use. Some businesses will often purchase the wrong application or services they don’t need. Assessing user needs and obtaining the correct user licenses is essential.
- Employee Confusion and Frustration: These can arise during the transition period and are often connected to a lack of training or understanding of the new system. Providing adequate training and support can help employees adapt to the new system.
- Poor Execution or Implementation: When businesses don’t have a clear plan or don’t work with an experienced IT consultant, the result may be a bungled migration process.
Planning ahead is the best way to avoid these common migration horror stories. Assessing user needs, network infrastructure, and application compatibility is essential. A pre-migration assessment can help create a master plan and determine what Microsoft 365 can do for the company.
Planning the data migration involves:
- Assessing the amount of data to be migrated.
- Organizing it in a structured manner.
- Determining the best approach for transferring the data to SharePoint and/or OneDrive.
Consider data dependencies like linked files or databases and user permissions to ensure a smooth transfer.
A robust and reliable network is necessary to support the increased demand for data transfer, collaboration, remote access, and everyday use. Assessing network capacity, bandwidth, and security measures helps avoid performance issues and potential vulnerabilities.
Developing a comprehensive plan for data and application security in Microsoft 365 is crucial. So, what does this entail?
In a nutshell, it’s implementing appropriate access controls, encryption, and backup strategies. Regular backups are essential to avoid data loss and provide a safety net for the unexpected.
Your staff must have the knowledge and skills to utilize the new platform effectively. Comprehensive training sessions, documentation, and ongoing support will help employees adapt quickly and minimize frustration.
Technology is constantly changing, and there’s always something new with each update. For an everyday user, Microsoft 365 migration may not be easy. This is where an experienced IT consultant comes in.
Partnering with AZCOMP Technologies for your Microsoft 365 migration project benefits your business in the following ways:
AZCOMP Technologies has extensive expertise and experience in Microsoft 365 migrations. We have migrated our own business to Microsoft 365 and performed dozens of migrations for medical practices, dental practices, and other companies. Many of those migrations we’ve performed were for Phoenix area businesses stuck in the middle of a project and needed help figuring out how to get unstuck.
Our team of IT professionals understands the platform’s intricacies and can provide valuable insights and guidance throughout the migration process. Our knowledge and experience can help businesses navigate potential pitfalls and successfully transition.
AZCOMP Technologies can provide valuable guidance and support at every migration stage. From the initial planning and assessment to data migration, application compatibility, and security considerations, our team can offer tailored solutions that align with your business’s specific needs and goals. We can also address any concerns or challenges during the migration process.
By working with AZCOMP Technologies, you can avoid common migration mistakes leading to data loss, downtime, or employee frustration. Our experience handling various migration scenarios enables us to anticipate and mitigate potential issues, ensuring a smooth and efficient transition to Microsoft 365.
Our expertise, guidance, and support can help you navigate the complexities of Microsoft 365 migration. This minimizes risks and maximizes the benefits of the platform.
If you’re considering a Microsoft 365 migration for your Arizona-based healthcare or dental practice, contact AZCOMP Technologies today to learn how we can assist you in achieving a seamless and successful migration.
About AZCOMP Technologies
AZCOMP Technologies is a leading IT services and solutions provider in Mesa, AZ. We provide Managed IT Services and IT Solutions for medical offices, dental offices, and other businesses in the Phoenix Metro area and Arizona.
We’re a little different than most IT support companies – we make IT easier. We make it easier for you and your employees to get help. We make it easier for your employees to be productive. We make it easier for upper management not to deal with IT frustrations. We make it easier for you to leverage technology in your own product or service delivery. We make it easier for you to be secure and compliant. We help your technology improve and become a driving force within your own business so you can reach your business goals.
We have been delivering phenomenal technology services since 2000 in Mesa, Tempe, Scottsdale, Chandler, Phoenix, Glendale, Apache Junction, Queen Creek, San Tan Valley, and Gold Canyon.
Request an MS365 or any other type of IT consultation today!