e-MDs Acquisition of McKesson Software Assets
e-MDs acquisition of McKesson software assets includes Practice Choice™, Medisoft®, Medisoft Clinical®, Lytec®, and Lytec MD®.
I’m sure you’ve all heard the news by now that e-MDs has acquired Medisoft®, Lytec®, Practice Choice™, Medisoft Clinical® and Lytec MD®.
There is a lot of speculation within the industry about what this means. Today we wanted to give you the straight talk and we’ll try to contain our excitement in the process.
When we first learned about this news we were of course caught off guard and didn’t know what to think. But once we learned who e-MDs is and what they’re trying to accomplish, we’ve been as excited as anyone can get about medical software.
This is really good news and you should be excited about it! We want to help you understand why.
How is This Good News?
In talking and meeting with the e-MDs leadership team, we believe that they are the right business at the right time to acquire these McKesson products.
It has been no secret that McKesson was not a good fit for Medisoft and Lytec for many reasons, not the least of which was that they were only a very small piece of a very large corporation. As a result, Medisoft and Lytec struggled to get the needed resources and attention. e-MDs is quite the opposite of McKesson.
Nine Reasons to be Excited:
- Fortune 11: Being a Fortune 11 company, McKesson’s umbrella provided stability and financial strength, however, publicly traded companies come with red tape and McKesson was no exception. We often felt we were on a slow moving ship and it hindered the progress of the software.
- Tiny fish in the Huge Ocean: Medisoft and Lytec are big names in small practices, but in reality, this was only a tiny fraction of McKesson’s overall business. McKesson has given our products (your products) just a tiny fraction of their time and attention.
- Out of Touch: It often felt like McKesson was out of touch with understanding small business and the needs of a small practice, unlike e-MDs, who is not an exorbitantly large, publicly traded company and has a much better pulse on the needs of a small practice.
- Commitment to Small to Mid-Sized Practices: e-MDs focus is very narrow, working with only small to mid-sized practices. All of the products and services they provide are for this market. All of their energy and effort and resources are 100% dedicated to this market.
- Clear Understanding of Independent Practices: Starting in a small provider practice, e-MDs understands the unique challenges you face and are focused on providing solutions for you to remain independent and thrive.
- Smaller is Better: Much more attention can be given to our products, and e-MDs can move faster through fewer layers of management, allowing them to make quick decisions and improvements on our products.
- A Plan for Growth: As some of the biggest names in practice management software were frankly being neglected under McKesson, e-MDs saw an opportunity to grow their own reach in the small practice marketspace, in turn giving resources and money to grow our products and maintain existing clients (you)!
- Commitment to Keeping & Improving the Products: e-MDs didn’t just buy the product names and a customer database, they substantially grew their business by expanding their sales force through the VAR network that is already in place, and they acquired ALL of the developers, account managers and support technicians. This means the people that know your products and what you need are still here for you! We also feel like this shows their commitment to keeping and improving the products.
- Product enhancements: e-MDs knows that there are many thousands of loyal Medisoft and Lytec users that love those products and they aren’t interested in losing you! In fact, their goal is to provide enhancements to the products and new opportunities that will strengthen your business so that you will be with us for years to come!
Learn more about e-MDs
Dereck Pickell is the CEO of e-MDs and we’d like to share some of his thoughts he shared with us.
“e-MDs remains steadfast in our commitment to our VAR partners and to the customers you and we support. We are here to help stabilize and retain your customers with the next phase in their healthcare evolution. We continue to support the product lines, and are working hard to identify and deliver enhancements and solutions our customers will want to buy. ”
“We have a 20 year history in the ambulatory healthcare space with a proven track record of long-term consistency and excellence. Your client-base, small to medium-sized practices, is our primary target market. Our company was founded by a family physician and we continue to be guided by physicians, giving us a unique understanding of your customer’s challenges.”
To learn more about e-MDs and what they are saying, stay in the loop by checking out their recent press release.
Frequently Asked Questions
We understand that news like this could cause some concerns for you and your practice. Here is a quick FAQ to ease some of your potential concerns.
Question: Is my practice going to be required to switch to any of the e-MDs products?
Answer: No. There is no intent to migrate the existing users of the McKesson products over to any of the e-MDs products.
Question: Is my software going to be sunset, or cancelled, or discontinued?
Answer: No. There is no intent to sunset or cancel or discontinue any of the McKesson products that were purchased as part of this acquisition. In fact, e-MDs has made this purchase as an investment, which means that they plan to make the products better and more user friendly. Currently, there are product enhancement scheduled to be released within the next month, and new product versions expected to be released later this year. Their plan is to make our products better and to add new customers to them.
Question: Do I have to find new software?
Answer: No. We have met with ownership and management of e-MDs and they have no plans to cut or discontinue any of the products they acquired.
Question: Will AZCOMP continue to support us and our software?
Answer: Yes! As part of the acquisition, AZCOMP has moved over with them. As far as we are concerned, nothing has changed. Honestly, we are very excited about this move as well. We feel really good about the prospects of seeing good improvements to Medisoft and the other products.
Question: How does this affect our practice or billing service?
Answer: Right now there is no change so there is no impact to you. We do feel that this move will affect your practice in a positive way in the future simply because e-MDs is planning to invest more resources into the products than McKesson ever would have. So we hope that you share in our excitement for the future.
If you have any questions or concerns, please call us! We would love to chat with you and get your feedback and hear your concerns. Call us at 480.730.3055 and ask to speak with one of our managers at any time.